Krug: Intro-3

When I first read the Krug readings, I thought that author basically hit Web usability concepts on the nose. I found these readings very easy to read. In fact, a lot of the ideas and tips that he expressed were used in the book. The subjects were clear and straight forward, the text was broken up which included images to make things easier to understand.

I liked how the author was personal in the intro. He expressed his experience with watching users surf the web but made it clear that as a designer, you don't have to have a professional looking over your shoulder telling you what not to do. Creating web pages is all about being creative and using your experiences on the web and putting that into your page so people don't have the same problems that you have run into before. However, he mentions sticking with certain styles and themes in websites; like headings at the top of a newspaper, linking things in the same general place as to not confuse browsers. 

I like his concept of making things simple. It's so true that as designers, we think that viewers will read and notice every detail on a site. But.. as a user, we don't. We scan for the things that we want and need and click on a few things until we get what we want. That's actually pretty sad considering how much work some designers put into some web pages. So it is good to stick with simple so you can spare yourself some time and frustration! I like it when I can easily navigate through a site and know when a link is a link and how to search for something.
One side note: I thought the bit about how some users put in URL's into Yahoo search engines and expect to get to the website immediately, was pretty amusing. No offense to people who have done that before but mixing up the yahoo search tab with the actual internet URL bar is a beginner's mistake.

As for the muddling through pages, I have to say that I'm not really a muddler. I push through the rough spots and stick with it usually. However, thanks to google, it is easy to press the back button and look for another site that has similar information. 

This book kind of reminds me of some of the same concepts discussed in the Kilian readings. I'm seeing some common themes here but I suppose that they will be stuck in my head when I'm viewing and creating web pages. I do like the layout of the book. Krug makes it easy to follow his thoughts and I like that he expresses them in honesty.

Jackie Johns said:

Anne, like you I noticed that Krug really practiced what he preached in this book. The chapters are short, the paragraphs are broken up and short and there are clear headings, bulleted lists and bolded text. This is kind of what I was looking for in Kilian's book, but he never really delivered in that respect.
Speaking of Kilian, I too noticed some similarities between the two books - in concepts at least, if not actual design of the book. As I mentioned in my blog, the idea of web users scanning pages rather than reading them word-for-word was especially clear in both.

Daniella Choynowski said:

Not only were his paragraphs short and to the point, but he used visual aids to break up the monotony. It certainly wasn't a chore to read "Don't Make Me Think". It was (dare I say it)almost fun, which is exactly how your website should be. Hold people's attention, but inform them at the same time.

I also noticed that Krug and Kilian's books were similar.
I noticed that Krug and Kilian explained, we don't read pages; we scan them. As website visitors, we are normally in a hurry and we don't want to read EVERYTHING. This is the basic mindset of a web surfer. So we need to address these needs.

A main idea that is examined in both Krug and Kilian's books is the idea of visual hierarchy.
We must make sure that the most important items are higher on the page. This will help the reader understand the main topic or idea of the site.

This is an easy to follow book. The graphics and huge, bold lettering is helpful to see the main points.

Aja Hanah said:

I am a muddler. I muddle my way through many things not just on the internet. When I get a new toy, I'd rather muddle my way through putting it together than read directions.

About typing URLs into seach engines, my mother does that and it annoys me. I finally told her how to do it because it would save her time (and me time when she would use my computer for her work.)