The Art of Computer Gaming

Wow, who knew that computer games were invented even before graphics were able to be on copmuter? Not I! But I learned that from using the a method of interactive fiction, viewers can still have a good time.

The concept of being able to type commands to a computer and then getting a response back probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal to this generation of computer-gamers. We get to see everything we do and have a variety of options in interactive games. The game Adventureland by Scott Adams was I guess what started it all; what made some of the games we have today, available.

"Your mind gives a much better picture than the finest artist."

I think people forget that being able to see everything isn't always an advantage. Like in movies, I hate it when the actors/actresses seem something remorseful or scary and everyone wants to see what it is and the movie directly pans over to the thing they are looking at and the suspense is gone.... Anticipation is much more intriguing. In the movie if the actors would have described it and used words to put a picture in your head, each person's image would be different. This is the concept Adams was describing in his audience interaction speech.

Another concept that stuck out to me was the fact that he stated, "If you guys ever get out into the world and you are doing something creative like this, making entertainment for people, don't design the whole thing yourself. Let the people you plan to use it do some of the design." This of course reminded me of the hypertext literature pieces our EL236 class has been studying. They display a perfect example of letting your audience help to tell the story. The literature is all interactive and by clicking on links or pictures, you get more pieces of the puzzle but they are different everytime. So essentially, you can create a different story every time you click.

Although I dont know much about computer programming and I do not really play video games, I'm glad they were invented. From the perspective of the one doing the creating, I can respect and support the efforts to make non-violent, family interactive games

.

Anne, that quote about letting your audience do some of the design work for you, is one of the most important lessons we'll learn in the last third of the course. I'm thrilled that you picked it out of that speech.