Get to the point

"A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, bluring the outlines and covering up the details" (Clark & Scanlan 297).

This great anology requests journalists avoid euphemism, question-begging, and vagueness.   These sections helped sketch a map for comparison whenever I examine my own writing.  I need to, probably, reread it everytime I start writing, though.  In theory anything seems easily feasible; in reality ease always follows after effort.   The most benificial advice , I think, given was held in this sentence :
"If meaning is created by a subject and verb, then a sentence that begins with a subject and a verb makes meaning early" (298).
This was discussed in class already, however,  Clark & Scanlan did a nice job  laying it out there--immediacy of words isn't only important on a paragraph level but on sentence level as well.  "All other elements brank off" from the subject and verb.

Back 

Derek Tickle said:

Yes, I like how you specifically said that journalists avoid vagueness. This is completely true because we want to get to the point and tell our audience the facts. It is amazing how every time I write an article, I go back through, like you said, and check to make sure I have facts and not fluff. I like when a news article begins with a quote or gets straight to the point because it tells me what I want to know quickly. I think this is due to our fast paced culture. Would you agree?

Being vague is a very bad thing in journalism. As I said in my blog, details mean everything. You need to make clear exactly what is happening, when it is happening, why and so on. With that information, it helps if you decribe everything that is important as much as possible. The subject verb helps you get to the point. The details would come a little later after the point is conveyed.

And Derek, I do agree with you. People want to be informed but have short attention spans. If you bore them with fluff in your article, they'll just move on.

April M. Minerd said:

I absolutely agree, Derek and Angela. Our culture wants things quick and without much effort. Let’s be blunt, people have better things to do than read! There are adults with shorter attention spans than toddlers, today. It’s not their fault, though, they have responsibilities: kids to take to ballet and soccer practice, high pressure jobs, outdated inspection stickers, dry cleaning to pick-up, low-carb casserole in the oven, Fido’s accident to clean off the carpet, doctor appointments, and etc… The subject/verb approach to writing insures fast delivery of content and easy reading, SO readers won’t need to maneuver through pointless prose to get what they want, SO they can attend to those OTHER things.