How to be remembered

This was a decent way to commemorate a life. It showed who Marie Byrne was without sugar coating her life, yet making her admirable and honoring her memory all the same.  Most readers are likely to value sincerity over obligatory glorification, any day.  Composing an obituary could be intimidating, I'd think, on the reporter undertaking the task (Oh, no pun intended).  They're making a final statement on the deceased's life; it's almost like mounting the podium at the funeral and delivering the last words. I liked the quote Nicholson wrapped-up with: "...'charge up everything and if I die, you don't have to pay for it'" (Clark & Scanlan 72). He didn't have to say, or quote others saying, she was perfect in order for people to like her. 
The only quip I do have is why they memorialized her as "Tastykake Retiree"? She retired in 1974; this obituary was dated April 2, 1986.  Twelve years later and she is still the "Tatsykake lady".  Maybe, Marie wouldn't have minded the title; after all she was a loyal employee for 20 years.

See what the class thinks

Kaitlin Monier said:

I liked that quote too. It added comic relief to the topic and also helped to create a tone of celebration rather than sadness.