« Chapter 6 - Monitor Power and Offer Voice to the Voiceless | Main | Morgan Spurlock Article »

Homecoming Summary

First of all, I have to say that reporting on the topic that I had was very difficult. My homecoming topic was the King and Queen of the Hill Pageant, which was cancelled. It was very difficult to write about something that never occurred because it was hard to get people to comment and it was hard to find out what went wrong.
Many of my sources did not want to be quoted, so I basically wrote my article based on the thoughts and reactions of the only couple and of other students on campus. Below are some of the comments that I received from students on campus:

Junior Jimmy Pirlo said, “I think it’s sad that it was cancelled because it would have been a fun way for everyone to participate in the homecoming festivities.”

Many students at SHU had mixed feelings about this pageant and the activities surrounding homecoming. Post-baccalaureate student, Matthew Gehly said, “I think that this school is becoming more and more like the average state school and by starting a football team and other extracurricular activities they are risking their reputation.”

Some individuals say that the lack of participation for this year’s pageant was due to the lack of information on campus. Sophomore Tracey Flaherty, who didn’t know much about the pageant said, “I think it’s okay that we have a homecoming dance [the decade’s dance] and all of the other events surrounding homecoming, but we shouldn’t subject ourselves to having a king and queen because we are a university, not a high school anymore.”

I definitly learned a great deal from writing this article because I found out that a lot of background research needs to be done before an event takes place, in order to make the writing process a bit easier if that event is in fact cancelled.

Posted by AshleeLupchinsky at October 11, 2005 09:07 PM

Had I known they were going to cancel the whole thing, I never would have refused their offer to be Homecoming King. And I've had previous experience. For a brief time in the early 90s, I thought I was the King of Spain. But I'm feeling much better now.

Posted by: Michael Dell at October 12, 2005 01:16 PM