« Reflections on Court Reporting Lab | Main | First impressions of We the Media »

First Impressions on We the Media by Dan Gillmor

At first sight, We the Media is turning out to be so much better than It Ain't Necessarily So. This book is actually giving the reader information that can be applied. Also, the author, Dan Gillmor seems to be much more qualified than the authors of It Ain't Necessarily So.
After reading the introduction and chapters 1 and 2, I have come to the conclusion that Dan Gillmor is very knowledgeable of what he calls "grassroots journalism." As I was reading I continued to come across this phrase of "grassroots journalism," but I had no idea what it meant. After searching the Internet for a while and only coming up with information on the blog of Gillmor himself, I found that "grassroots journalism" is also known as "citizen journalism." I find this concept very important to our culture because of the rise of citizens who want to have their input into the breaking news of the times.
We the Media discusses an important concept of the world today. More and more people are using the Internet to get their information on breaking stories or just local stories around them. With the advent of blogging, people are able to discuss their views on certain topics. With this book Gillmor is able to explain who was responsible for making these sources possible to the average person. So far, with the information that I have read, Gillmor seems to be an expert in his field and I only hope that as I continue through, I find out more information about media sources that have affected my life.

Posted by AshleeLupchinsky at November 14, 2005 08:21 AM