Differences Between New Games Journalism and Original Reviews

When I first was assigned to due this assignment, I thought to myself that a review is a review and nothing about that was going to change. Until I actually read both of the articles, I chose for this paper did I see the differences. The differences are major because New Games Journalism is entirely different then regular reviews. They each serve a different purpose and I think are for different kinds of readers.

New games Journalism could be for consumers who want to sit and read for a few hours, but I would not recommend it to a normal consumer. I would recommend this type of article to people who genuinely enjoy video games and want to see how others experienced them. One difference I noticed between the two is who you are as opposed to the game. In NGJ, the author writes as if he is in the game experiencing it and relaying his experience to you.

The prince slips from a moonlit balcony into the warm glow of a bedroom. We see a woman sleeping, hear her gasp. "You may wonder who I am," says the prince, silencing her. "Sit down, and I will tell you a tale like none which you have ever heard." What could be plainer? But gamers have been trained for years to mistrust cut-scenes; what gamers trust is action. And so, once they gain control of the prince, the bedroom and the tale-telling is dismissed or forgotten. Shrugged off as a hackneyed narrative device for setting the game's fantastical scene.”

Edge Magazine describes the game as if it is a book that you opening up for the first time. It does gain your interest to actually read the whole article. People who write these are reviewers expressing their artistic expression or love for a certain video game. As these artists take you through the game as if you were there, a review acts like you are playing the game in your home.

A review is usually long but the author will let you know if it is a good game or not within the first paragraph. I usually stop after that. A review is not as intense as a NGJ article would be since it covers the basics and general guidelines all reviews have. The author explains controls, mapping, graphics, and compare it to other or older versions of the game. They also give you a overview of the story without telling you much detail so the story is still a surprise. Reading the VGJ article I felt like some of that surprise was taken away with such a descriptive explanation of the game. The VGJ article makes you feel like you already played the game. A review is get you ready for what your about to play.

“The quest seems just as insurmountable from a purely game play perspective. Prince will travel through the entirety of the palace, a huge, hulking thing that stretches up, down, and all around. He'll use his wits, his acrobatics, and his sword, avoid traps and kill enemies, engage in high-rise platforming, balance on beams and swing on poles, climb and hang, dangle and flip, shimmy and slide, run, summersault and fight, fall and rewind, slow time and… fall in love? Well, he does meet a beautiful princess along the way and an intriguing sub-story unfolds. As to just what happens, our lips are sealed.”

IGN clearly states what your getting out of this game without telling you how the game goes. The differences could not be more clear with the quotes I pick. They are exact opposites to each other. They are targeting two different audiences and are not meant for the same purpose.

Works Cited

Casamassina, Matt. "Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time." IGN. 7 Nov. 2003. 4 Jan. 2008 <http://ps2.ign.com/articles/458/458560p1.html>.

Edge Magazine. "Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time." Edge: Videogame Culture. Feb. 2005. 3 Jan. 2008 <http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/02/prince_of_persi.php>.