Flustered.

Thats how I feel when I play text games. I DONT KNOW WHAT VERB TO ENTER. I really can not play text games. That really my thought for this blog. I have to visually see what I am doing to do it. I am a visual learner and that game is soo  frustrating. Can visual learners play them? I think so but I also think your mind has to work a certain way to play IFs.

It was just a weird experience.

That's right, Ashely... in a previous generation, everyone who worked with computers already had that mind, because working with computers required all these skills.

I'm glad to see that you're thinking about your own learning styles. There will be plenty of visual information to come, and you will be able to choose your own games for the major papers, so this isn't a class about text games. It is a class about how to talk about game culture and theory, rather than a class in which you should expect I will give you lectures that teach you more about the games you already love. Pay attention to the process of learning and talking about an unfamiliar game genre, and that will help you when you try to figure out what's worth talking about later in the course when you choose your own game(s) to study. (You'll have to teach me about it, since there's a good chance I won't be an expert in the game you choose.)

Zach T said:

You took the words right out of my mouth, visual is better. I can't figure out what verbs to use, and after a few trys i get fustrated and move on. I think visual commponents make the game experience better. This text stuff isn't working for me at all

That's kind of funny, because when I see the glowing lights that highlight important areas in Grand Theft Auto or Fate, I feel annoyed that the game designer didn't think I was capable of keeping a map or knowing enough to click on that NPC or go into that building, since the game has already given me a good reason to want to go there.

That doesn't mean that I'm never frustrated in text games.

Not being able to jump from platform to platform when I've already told the game I want to go there, or being totally destroyed by fifteen expert players when I log into a multiplayer game as a clueless n00b are the kinds of things that annoy me.

I don't mean to say that your reaction to games is wrong and that mine is right; I'm just noting that just as it would be limiting for me to say all text games are automatically the best, you might be missing other ways that game succeed (or fail) if you focus only (or mostly, or first) on the visuals. My point is not to convince you to change your preferences, but rather to be aware of how your preferences affect your judgement.

Ashley F said:

I understand perfectly what you are saying. For instance in a game you want to jump directly across a cliff and the game will not let you because you there is a glitch you have to run at the exact spot. Understandable. But it is not that frustration I experience. To me it is like..Im in a forest but I can not see a path or a clue as to what I am to do next. For me it was more like a guess and go game until you get further into it. I do not think any game is better then the other game also. I believe it is a matter of opinion.
Im not completly visual, even if I see someone speaking it helps such as in a game where you speak to the character and the character speaks the clue I can interpret from there, but I just like to see what is happening. I think it is just mindset.