Persuasive Games..Chpt 1

I am only about half-way through the first chapter but once I reach around the 3rd or 4th chapter I will add some more onto this blog's reflection.

So far I have not read anything so persuasive in this book written by Ian Bogost. It has been a very difficult book to read and I am glad I have been able to get a head start on the book before the first workbook is due. Not to make my self sound dumb in anyway but Bogost uses big words that are difficult for me to understand my first time reading through. As I read more and more I do understand what he means about rhetoric and procedure. Procedure, in my own definition, is a sequence of steps to accomplish a goal. Companies and businesses use procedure so there is not any confusion when accomplishing a task. Steps are easier to follow then thinking of your own way to finish the task. Also it would not be uniform or appealing to the public. Computers do follow a very strict procedure with out any emotions. If one day our world is ran by computers, it would be more uniform and less hectic.

With me saying that would you want the world run by a system that did not waiver or change emotionally? I think the world would be fairer to everyone except the people who designed the computer who would probably add in their own benefits. Procedure is necessary to prevent chaos. Can there be too much procedure not allowing for one's creativity? The world is at a point where it is changing rapidly into new political policies, training methods, and overall lifestyle. We live in a fast paced world and with the technology it is only going to get faster.

Derek Tickle said:

I also am having somewhat of a difficult time reading "Persuasive Games" because of how much information is on one page and also because of the words he uses. I really liked the example about the DVD player that Bogost used for procedure. I thought that it showed how rules and procedures work hand-in-hand. I personally would not want to have everything run by computers because sometimes you just need to talk to a human. For example, if you return something after the return policy deadline and there is a good reason why then you would need to speak with a human to resolve the issue because a computer would not allow it. I agree with your statement: " Procedure is necessary to prevent chaos." This is very true because everyone would do there own thing without procedure and rules. I really like the questions and ideas that you presented because I had not thought about them before.

Thanks, Ashely, for posting your initial thoughts. The book is not an easy read, but I think we're ready for it. Juul was very conscious that he was writing for an emerging medium, so he included a glossary. This is Bogost's second book on game studies, and some time has passed since Juul's book came out, so Bogost spends less time introducing the reader to each new concept, so reading this book is not going to be a cakewalk.

I hope you'll continue to share your thoughts as you work your way through the readings.

Ashley F said:

I enjoyed his example of procedure as well. The whole time I read it I thought about how anything is returnable to Wal-Mart at anytime. I wish all stores had a return policy like WalMart.