« | Main | My blogs are here »

End to Huck Finn

Clemens, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Finish) -- American Literature, 1800-1915 (EL 266)

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can’t stand it. I been there before.” (320)

I loved these last few lines of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because I think it sums up Huck’s character. It seems like Huck liked the whole journey and adventure of escaping from home. He made things out worse than they were, like hiding Jim when he was free the whole time because Miss Watson died. He was on his own and was scared sometimes, but realized at the end that he liked it, mostly because of the adventure. Huck knows now that he doesn’t want to become “sivilized” like the rest of society because then his life is dull and he can’t be adventuresome anymore.
The end of the story has a lot of irony when the reader finds out that Miss Watson died and Jim was free. I thought to myself “well they did all of that for nothing!” Huck and Jim hid and ran the whole novel just for fun. It was a very good novel because of the creativity and twists and turns Clemens gives the reader. I would like to read a sequel to this novel if there is one.

Posted by AshleyHoltzer at November 1, 2005 04:11 PM

Haha I sort of thought the same thing, "Well what was the point of that?" I liked the end twist though- it ended much better than I thought it could. Considering the tone throughout the latter part of the novel, I thought Jim was going to be caught and that would be the end of it. However, Clemens once again let Jim be triumphant, going back to the question of whether or not he, and the book, are racist. I'd say this proves not.

Posted by: Vanessa at November 2, 2005 08:02 AM

I liked the end as well. I was glad that it turned out the way that it did. I think that even though he may not have wanted to admit it, Huck felt safe with Jim and he looked up to him in a way.

Posted by: Stacy at November 2, 2005 03:23 PM