Blue flower, red thorns! Blue flower, red thorns! Blue flower, red thorns! Oh, this would be so much easier if I wasn't color-blind!

Foster's Chapter 22 was a chapter in which he explained the need, as an author, to sometimes make the symbolism extremely obvious.  For his example, he brought up the play Oedipus Rex and how blatant the play made Oedipus' blindness, eventhough he had perfect eye sight, using a blind man who could see more than what met people's eyes. 

It is necessary to do this so that you can add a deeper meaning for all of your readers including those who do not use close reading techniques.  By doing this, the story will inevitably become something more for those who do not look into the symbolism in books.  As an English major, I find that this is an extremely valuable piece of information because it is something that I've never taken into account before and probably wouldn't have considered until it was brought to my attention.  I'm very glad that I read this chapter in my freshman year instead of finding out after being half way through my career.

Click here to see what my classmates have to say!

Marie vanMaanen said:

I also thought this chapter was interesting. It seems like for so long we have been talking about how a symbol can have varied meanings for all of us, and there is simply no one answer as to what a symbol means. This chapter now says, but wait, sometimes symbols really only do have one answer. That's because the understanding of that symbol enhances the story so much that the author wants to make sure that everyone has a clear understanding of the symbol.