Now the snarfblatt dates back to prehysterical times when humans used to sit around and stare at each other all day. Got very boring. So they invented this snarfblatt to make fine music~Scuttle, The Little Mermaid

During class when we started talking about the different Disney Princesses and how it related to the play we just read, I began to think about how the three female characters perfectly portrayed the different types of princesses there are.  Juliet would be the princess, like Snow White and Cinderella, who just sits and does nothing, being completely confident in the fact that her prince will come to her someday.  Desdemona would be one of the active ones who pretty much does what Snow White thinks the men should be doing for her just like Pocahontas and Mulan.  Finally, our main character, Constance found her self being in the middle of the two others.  She would be equated to the princesses who did something but didn't go overboard with it, like Ariel. 

To see what my classmates have to say, click here!

Kayla Lesko said:

I still don't get why Mulan is considered a princess, is it because she saved China and all thus having the popularity of a princess? One of the biggest mysteries ever. lol

Ashley Pascoe said:

Actually, Mulan was a princess, but she didn't want to be confined to the 'duties' of women in China and decided to trick people into thinking she was a male so she could join the war. :) So she's was princess but she didn't want to be.

I sometimes worry about the message these princess movies send girls...and it doesn't get any better with romantic comedies or drama or romances...you get the picture. What is this, "you complete me" crap we've been planting in our population's minds forever? Why can't a person be happy by him/herself? It's sad and ridiculous that people are made to feel like a failure, because at the end of every movie the boy gets the girl or the girl gets the boy (whatever), but at the end of the day things don't always tie up so neatly. I understand the need for plot resolutions, but does the answer always have to lie in coupledom???

Sigourney Weaver as Ripley. Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs. You have to look outside the realm of the Disney cartoon to find the models in pop culture, but they're there.

The Disney musical is a form of comedy, and one of the conventions of comedy is a motion from a social disrupted order towards order as established by marriage (which perpetuates the society by preparing for new members).

Josie--good point about Disney creating a false reality for girls. My mom actually tells me often that she thinks Disney ruined my grip on reality. (I was kinda raised on Disney movies.) She tells me that I have a hard time realizing that not everything is happily ever after or something like that. I'm not saying that the last bit is true, but I do feel like Disney ruins a lot of kids' hopes and dreams. When I was little, I used to constantly tell my mom that I wanted to be a princess someday...I've gotten over that (obviously), but some of the other things about Disney movies have probably tainted me forever, like the idea of finding true love. How many girls let their boyfriends abuse them because they're in love? I'm pretty sure that there's "true love" in every disney film, and it's almost always love at first sight...sounds a lot like Romeo and Juliet...

Sometimes the love isn't at first site. I'm sure Pocahontas and Mulan thought the men in their stories were interesting, but were focused on soemthing else entirely and they gradually got to know the men and fall in love.

I actually watched all of the Disney movies and the princesses never applealed to me. I don't know why, but the strong women were the ones I liked or I identified with Aladdin. What creates this difference in little girls?

Carissa Altizer said:

I'm not as concerned with Disney movies ruining our youth as I am with toys like Bratz or Barbie. When I was little I refused to play with Barbie because she made me feel ugly. After all, her true to life body proportions are impossible without plastic surgery and a few rib removals. Bratz dolls are terrifying. They are composed of an eight year olds face with a twenty-one year olds club clothing.