« October 11th Trib. | Main | Just an Observation »

11, 2005

The Elements of Journalism Chapter 6-8

There was one main thing that I really liked about chapter 6 and that was their explanation of the three different types of investigative journalism. The first type is original investigative reporting, the second is Interpretative investigative reporting, and the third is reporting on investigations. I really liked these parts of this chapter because it made more sense to me what these were from reading about them. The book really describes them well. Original investigative reporting is where the reporter themselves uncover all the information in their story. In interpretative investigative reporting the reporter develops information that they found or someone else had found and arranges it so it "provides deeper public understanding." Reporting on investigations is when a reporter who is covering an investigation finds information that has been leaked to them from information that already has been gathered. Personally I think I would enjoy original investigative reporting because I love to do research and get in there hands on and totally create the story.

I enjoyed chapter seven because it gave a lot of examples. I agree that Journalism is a public forum. News in general is a public forum. As reporters we are constantly interviewing people and doing stories on people or on events that effect people. Journalism provides us with an outlet to criticize things as well as discuss them. The news affects everyone; it affects the public.

I really enjoyed chapter 8 because it brings in story telling into news stories. This chapter discusses how to engage your audience but you must stay relevant to your topic. I mainly liked the end of this chapter when it discussed some ways to be engaging and how to use story telling in news stories. Personally I liked the hour glass. The hour glass is an inverted pyramid with a pause in the middle for a story. The book suggests using this to add something new to your style of news writing to keep the audience engaged. I also agree that you have to give them pictures that they can create in their mind when you write a story and that you do not want to be boring or "on the nose".

Posted by AshleyWelker at 11, 2005 02:15