« 2005 | Main

11, 2005

Christmas on the Hill Pictures.

Christmas on the Hill!

If this does not work email me at luthien9@hotmail.com and I can then email them to you.

Posted by AshleyWelker at 05:38 | Comments (0)

02, 2005

Blogging Portfolio 4

I really do enjoy blogging I wish I had more time though. One of these days maybe during finals week I am going to try to blog on my overall expirence with blogging and the class in general.

WTM Chapter 2: Coverage and Depth
WTM Chapter 4:Coverage and Depth
WTM chapter 7:Coverage and Depth
WTM Chapter 10:Coverage and Depth
WTM Chapter 11 (informal presentation): :Coverage, Depth, Timliness, Discusion
XenoBlogging: Jay Pugh's
Wildcard: Informal Presentation (I really had fun with the presentations, they were fast and fun. I wish we could have done that more often but we have such a big class.)

Posted by AshleyWelker at 09:15 | Comments (0)

WTM Chapter 10

"It was a reminder that the Net is a medium that grants great freedom, it doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Law applies online and off..."(191).
Finally we get to the stuff dealing with the LAW; big word. The book up to this point was cheerful and telling us how great blogging is, and it really is. and this is the "BUT" chapter. I am sure many people to this day still think that the internet and their blogs is a place where they can say anything they darn well please. Well Gillmor tells us that we can't do that. Online sources are now just as liable as regular print media. Just because we type our thoughts in cyber space does not mean that we are floating outside the jurisdiction of the law. I enjoyed the chapter because it was really informative. This chapter, and other chapters in the book on law and copyright issues, definitely need to be in the book. As a bloggers we need to know the dangers and consequences faced with what we blog about.

Posted by AshleyWelker at 09:08 | Comments (0)

WTD Chapter 7

"The coverage of important events by nonprofessional journalists is only part of the story. What also matters is the fact that people are having their say."
I liked how Gillmor opened this chapter by discussing the story of an Iraqi citizen who blogged about the war and protests going on in Iraq. This person was not a journalists but he was able to cover an important event as well as talk about how he felt. I will admit that it is awesome that blogs have created this atmosphere. The average person can now have their voice heard by people who read their blogs. As we know as well going into google and typing your name will pull up some of your blog entries. This spreads this phenomenon. I am glad that we have blogging. Every single person has their own opinion and personally I enjoy reading other peoples opinion. Not only do we get to voice our thoughts but we are able to be the journalists. Our blogs may not be "print news" but we cover the stories as well now in our own way. That is really cool. I blogged back a couple months about on the night that I heard that Chief Justice Rehnquist died; I was covering the major story and lending in my opinion to the subject. No one can admit they don't like doing this.

Posted by AshleyWelker at 08:59 | Comments (0)

WTM Chapter 4

I really enjoyed this chapter. It was interesting yet funny. I don't surf the web much so it was interesting to see that even no corporations have their own blogs! That is interesting. I am sure, as he does say in this chapter, they don't tell us everything, but who wants to "air their dirty laundry" on the internet, so that is understandable. He goes on in the chapter to say that blogs for corporations is a good PR tool. I agree with that. It gets the consumer closer than ever to the thoughts of a company or even a CEO blog. Also consumers are able to comment on these blogs, thus feeling like they have a say in what happens in a multi million dollar company.
Also this chapter was funny talking about celebrity blogs. After Jenna did her presentation I definitely went on the web later that night to see what celebrity blogs I could fine. That is cool in a way that now we get to see what the "bug stars" are thinking, again as consumers we like that.
Lastly I wanted to end with the ending of his chapter. I enjoyed that he had 10 rules for marketing and PR people who use blogs. I liked this rule that goes back to my original paragraph some what:
"Help out by offering more, not less. Make sure your website has everything a journalist might need. That includes picture, audio, video, charts, and plain old text- and make sure it's easy to find. If journalists can find, costumers can, too" (86.) Now he is not saying put out your dirty laundry but do put out stuff. Don't make the content bland and boring or no one would want to read it or visit the blog site. Blogging itself like this is a great PR tool. It would be more beneficial to companies who did this because like he said consumers will be able to see the information too.

Posted by AshleyWelker at 08:44 | Comments (0)

WTM Chapter 2

"They said the web needed to be writeable, not just readable..." (24).

Thus blogging was born! I wish I had more time to blog and then maybe I would have more time to connect with the phenomenon of it. I totally understand the wave though. I like this quote because I think it sums up the book even though it is in chapter 2. The book discusses a lot of issues concerning blogging. I think it is good that the internet became "writable" to the average person. This allows for "us" to have a say in matters on things like our blogs. It is a good outlet to express ourselves and it is giving a little bit of the power back to the people. Thanks Al Gore! Haha...just kidding.

Posted by AshleyWelker at 08:27 | Comments (0)