« Where In The Heck Did Punctuation Come From Anyway? | Main | Hidden Meaning?? I'm Not Seeing It... »

If I Were A Punctuation Mark, I Think I Would Be An Exclamation Point!!

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)
"In humorous writing, the exclamation mark is the equivalent of canned laughter (F. Scott Fitzgerald-that well-known knockabout gag-man-said it was like laughing at your own jokes), and I can attest there is only one thing more mortifying than having an exclamation mark removed by an editor: an exclamation mark added in."

"In the family of punctuation where the full stop is daddy and the the comma is mummy, and the semicolon quietly practises the piano with crossed hands, the exclamation mark is the big attention deficit brother who gets too excited and breaks things and laughs too loudly."

These two phrases really put punctuation into a whole new perspective for me, especially concerning the exclamation point. I never thought I would be saying this, but it helped me relate to punctuation on personal level, which I never thought was possible, seeing as it's punctuation and punctuation being so lacking of personality and everything. It made me wonder what punctuation mark I am most like, and I think that I would be the exclamation point. Truss mentions something about the punctuation mark that is used when the author is laughing at their own joke (whether it's good or not), and I often find myself making jokes that no one else gets and then laughing at them, or else laughing at stupid jokes that other people laugh at that no one else thinks is funny. And then, in another passage, Truss talks about how the exclamation point is the member of the family who is too easily excited and laughs uncontrollably at times; that about sums me up in a nutshell.

MacKenzie Harbison:

I would have to say that I totally agree with you. You would most definately be an exclamation point!

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 22, 2007 10:27 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Where In The Heck Did Punctuation Come From Anyway?.

The next post in this blog is Hidden Meaning?? I'm Not Seeing It....