« I'm Going To Buy This Book For My Stepmom | Main | If I Were A Punctuation Mark, I Think I Would Be An Exclamation Point!! »

Where In The Heck Did Punctuation Come From Anyway?

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)
"But although I still swoon every time I look at this particular semicolon from 1494, it was not, as it turns out, the first time a human being ever balanced a dot on top of a comma."

I never really thought about it before, but since I've been reading this book I've been thinking a lot about punctuation and how it actually came into existence. I mean, it obviously had to be invented somehow. It couldn't have just randomly appeared in print out of nowhere. I seriously wonder who actually decided to make the first mark of punctuation and why they decided it was necessary. Not that I'm saying punctuation is a bad thing, but it sort of made think about this. It would have been suge a huge achievement, not back then, but to think about it now, to be the first person to use a mark of punctuation. I could probably go on musing forever about how punctuation came to be and why and where; it's just such a huge phenomena, but I think I will just play it safe and stop here for now.

Lorin:

Bethany, I love you; you crack me up! You're right it would be really awesome to be the first one to use a punctuation mark. I think we should invent one so that we can be the first to use it - wouldn't that be awesome! We will work together, you can decide what you want the mark to look like and then I will decide how it should be used. Sound good? Or do you want me to come up with what it looks like and you can come up with what it is used for? Then we will have to use it all the time and make it catch on so that in thousands of years people will be writing books about us and talking about how were are geniuses! Ah, if only it were so easy...

Bethany Bouchard:

Oh my gosh! Lorin, that is such a good idea! We'll start work on it immediately! Haha.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 20, 2007 10:15 PM.

The previous post in this blog was I'm Going To Buy This Book For My Stepmom.

The next post in this blog is If I Were A Punctuation Mark, I Think I Would Be An Exclamation Point!!.