« Looking At The World With Unseeing Eyes | Main | Blogging Portfolio 3 Checkpoint »

History Repeats Itself

Kennedy, "Shakespare's King Lear" -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)
"In the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth century depictions of the Green Man, the relationship between human and vegetative is often suggested as hostile-'sometimes the leaves appear parasitic,' drawing their strength from the head which bears them (Basford 116)."

Wow. There is so much historical and mythological allusions in not only Shakespeare, but almost any literary masterpiece ever written. It helps to know the historical background of the time period that a particular work was written and also the background of the author's life for a reader to fully appreciate and understand what they are reading. Though I got a lot out of Lear, there is so much that I missed because of all that I don't know about the history of the time period in which it was written. This article helped me to realize just how much I missed.

Corey Struss:

There really are a lot of references to The Green Man in every piece of epic writing. It would be good to study about The Green Man, because I think that we would get so much more out of literature, as long as we know about him. Personally, I never heard of him until Kennedy's article, but am enthralled by the way he is portrayed.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 16, 2007 4:33 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Looking At The World With Unseeing Eyes.

The next post in this blog is Blogging Portfolio 3 Checkpoint.