« Newbie | Main | Reports, Shoots, and Leaves »

Crazy Angles: Are They Right or Just Obtuse?

While searching for sources, I found myself fighting for the attention of several interviewees and their thoughts. Once their attention was caught and questions asked, I learned that my page of quotes was boring. What angle could I possibly cover to supply my audience with a newsworthy story? Ironically, the answer lay among my most ridiculous quote: "It's so unfair that we have to purchase our own toilet paper."

Before attending class on Wednesday, my mind was set upon covering the differences between Farrell and DeChantal Hall. Can anyone feel their eyes drooping at this point? I did.

Luckily, I happened to discuss the article at lunch with a few classmates. This discussion helped me to refocus and put faith into a seemingly absurd story idea. Suddenly, sources were easily contacted, appropriate quotes were added, and the "Inverted Pyramid" wasn't a foreign concept. I eventually revised and edited my draft to a point that only one sentence was left untouched.

Although my initial spot news experience at DeChantal's Open House seemed hectic and unproductive, it resulted in an angle that worked. The right angle transformed my story into an article worth reading.

Posted by BethanyHutira at September 16, 2005 06:59 PM

Right on, Bethany...the toilet paper issue definitely needed to be exposed =)

Posted by: Johanna at September 17, 2005 04:36 PM

No problem Johanna! :D Actually, without you I wouldn't have written the story. And, I don't think I would have been able to understand the "Inverted Pyramid" moreso.

I'll be writing another reflection about the article, so keep posted!

Posted by: Bethany at September 25, 2005 12:43 PM