« Ain't Ain't a Word | Main | Avon and Statistics »

Eye Spy

It Ain't Necessarily So authors once discussed that "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" does not constitute "the excitement, the whole excitement, and nothing but the excitement"(53). Although I agreed that hard-news shouldn't look to entertainment, our feature article assignment seems to suggest otherwise.

While talking with Johanna the other day, we discussed the complex roles journalist must follow.

In one retrospect, journalist are to find and deliver the truth to its audience- give the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Interestingly, this straight-forward method bores most readers. So, not only will journalists be accused of providing inaccurate information, we're depicted as dull writers. No happy medium...

Fortunately, the AP Guide restored "color" to news writing in Chapter 9:

"Color is a matter of the right details- observed directly, elicited from witnesses, always with the breath of actuality...For color, reporters cannot rely on phrases and fancy- or ready-made- figures of speech. They rely on hard particulars. They must train themselves to spot those small, specific details that give intimate glimpses into the nature of their subject." (79-80)
I was awed by the Jules Loh's insightful observations of Herbert Hoover. What a "WOW" moment! I learned that despite the mentality that miniscule details don't matter, they do. In fact, I myself was forced to test these observations in my Classroom Management course (and, I thought news writing was only to help English Education cert. run a newspaper- NOT!!!).

While writing a mock Behavioral Intervention Plan, I had to meticulously observe a student and decipher whether the student had a dire behavioral issue or not. After reviewing about six classroom scenarios, I was beat- I had evidence which supported and disproved a problem. Then, I noticed during "Seatwork" that the student continuously picked up his glue after it fell. Without studying this chapter, I'm not sure if I would have noted the student's need for order and structure.

Playing "Eye Spy" with details develops intrigue within the story. It's our chance to show the reader how careful and noteworthy we are, when looking at a particular event or person. It's the truthful and entertaining as well.

Posted by BethanyHutira at November 8, 2005 04:19 PM

I love how you tied it into your Classroom Management course experience. I am also working towards my English Ed cert. and while I am only a freshman and I am not yet in Classroom management, I think your observations will be helpful for me to remember when I do take the course. For example, the importance of paying attention to details, which, in journalism, can help make a story interesting, or in teaching, can help me recognize the needs of my students.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 10, 2005 12:13 PM

That's a great observation, Bethany!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at November 10, 2005 12:34 PM

Thanks so much Dr. Jerz and Lorin for you comments!

Good luck throughout your remaining education courses, Lorin! This class has been a great help when observing and I'm glad you're going to use these skills later on.

Posted by: Bethany at November 10, 2005 07:09 PM