« Afraid of Missing Out | Main | Ohhhh the Irony! »

Instincts RULE!!!

Foster (Ch 12 and Interlude [p. 183]) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Listen to your instincts. Pay attention to what you feel about the text. It probably means something."

This reading on symbols actually made me feel a lot better about my first blog on the poem. I read that poem and felt like I knew what it was all about, but then read a few other blogs. I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the poem "properly" but I really felt strongly about how I saw the poem. So I took a chance, unlike Eliot did, and I feel very good about that now. And I think next time, I may read Foster before the other assigned reading!! haha It seems to always make sense more after reading Foster!

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/8536

I definetly think the same thing. Usually when I read foster first everything else that I read after that does seem to make more sense. I don't know why but it just does.

I'm glad to hear you are finding Foster's book helpful. I am trying to choose chapters that go well with readings, but since I am not actually assigning discussion questions, you are already getting some good practice figuring out on your own what's worth discussing in the assigned readings. I couldn't be happier.

I tried to model in class yesterday that it's very likely we're going to find that a roomful of people who read a story are going to have multiple different opinions, but the point of having an opinion is to share it.

If there is no single "right" way to interpret literature, there are certainly "more persuasive" and "less persuasive" arguments. The more persuasive arguments will have more supporting evidence.

And sometimes a response will be nothing more than an emotional response, or a vague reference to a "feeling." That sort of response is not a "wrong answer," it's no answer at all!

Margaret Jones:

Ha Bethany, I am so glad you posted this blog. Because I too read the poem before Foster, and I was scared when I posted my blog for the poem because not that many people shared my same viewpoints. However, now after reading Foster, I understand that obviously the poem could be interrpeted many ways so now I am relieved. But I too will now read Foster before the others just because it helps out so much.

MacKenzie Harbison:

I did the same thing. But I'm still not even sure I agree with how I interpreted the poem. I had so many thoughts and ideas that were completely different from eachother that I just had to choose one. I like reading other peoples thoughts on the poem. Not one person has the same idea.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on January 30, 2007 12:17 AM.

The previous post in this blog was Afraid of Missing Out.

The next post in this blog is Ohhhh the Irony!.