Attitude!

| 2 Comments | No TrackBacks

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (98-111; 150-166) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Tone designates the attitude that a liteary speaker expresses toward his or her subject matter and audience."

I have heard of tone before, but after reading this section of Essential Literary Terms, I realized how important tone can be in a story. For instance, in A Good Man is Hard to Find, the tone makes a difference to how you percieve the story. Really it is important in all plots. I found it interesting how important it actually is to know the attitude of the story!

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/8885

I agree that tone plays a very important role in most plots. And I think the tone of the author can also effect the way the readers like/dislike a story as well. I thought this was a worthwhile section to read.

I enjoyed the section on tone because I know what it is and have since high school, probably around junior year when my teacher tried to drill into our heads the difference between tone and mood (because that is always confusing) but I still have trouble defining tone in passages that I am reading. I tend to shy away from talking about it because I worry I won't be able to express or identify the tone in a convincing way. Now I feel more confident in trying it out.

Also, Bethany, you say that the tone of "A Good Man is Hard to Find" "makes a difference in how you perceive the story" but you don't say how it did so for you. I feel like your example is lacking because telling me "it makes a difference" doesn't make me believe so if you can't show me how.