« I Love Disney! | Main | Scary! »

Satire and the Animals on the Farm

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (1-31) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Other satires target a group or set of people, such as the members of the American military establishment in Joseph Heller's Catch-22, or an institution, such as totalitarianism in George Orwell's Animal Farm. "

I am sarcastic. There is no doubt about it. I have always enjoyed satires as you can imagine, but I never knew there was more than one type of satire. Throughout high school I feel that we read a lot of satires. One of them mentioned in the reading was Animal Farm. Although I didn't really enjoy the talking animals and such while reading the book, I really like the inner meaning and the satire that was connected in the story. A play that we read that was a satire was The Crucible. I found it very interesting again how the author Arthur Miller took an event in history and made it into a satire after the Cold War and the hunt for Communists in the United States. I was just surprised that there were different kinds of satire and found it very informative.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/8705

Derek Tickle:

I agree with you Bethany. I found it interesting that there were different types of satire. I thought that it jsut was the typical sarcastic person. I liked the example that you used to express how something serious can be made into something that may make someone smile.

Corey Struss:

I, too, liked Miller's The Crucible. Mainly for the reason that being sarcastic in that day and age wasn't the best thing to do, but he pushed the limits.

The only other book that comes to mind when I think of satire, is Animal Farm, a book that I really enjoyed because of all its hidden meanings. After this reading, I can't wait to check out the other satires that Hamilton mentioned.

By the way, you really are the most sarcastic person in the history of ever.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 4, 2007 5:18 PM.

The previous post in this blog was I Love Disney!.

The next post in this blog is Scary!.