« Blogging Checkpoint for Portfolio #3 | Main | Peter vs. Valentine »

Isolation Equals Creativity?

Card, Ender's Game Ch 1-6 -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"With Ender, we have to strike a delicate balance. Isolate him enough that he remains creative--otherwise he'll adopt the system here and we'll lose him. At the same time, we need to make sure her keeps a strong ability to lead."

I picked this quote from Ender's Game, because I thought it was very interesting how they concluded that isolation would encourage creativity. When I think about creativity and the ability to be able to think outside of the box, I never think being IN the box is the way of enforcing these creative juices. When I think of the great creative minds, I usually think about how they were NOT sheltered and were so worldly; musicians, artists, and writers were not shoved into a box to find creativity but they were let lose to explore. I don't know, I just found this very odd throughout the novel it just keeps picking at me more and more.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/9927

Corey Struss:

I guess the future calls for different circumstances. Perhaps thinking OUTSIDE the box became the norm, and everything became so much alike. Perhaps they just needed to go back to thinking without the abstract-ness of it all, in order to be creative. It's like going back to square one.

Anonymous:

If you look at it purely in the context of creativity, rather than what the book is stating about it within its story, it might make more sense.

When you speak of musicians, writers, and artists being shoved into a box for the sake of creativity, it could just be that everyone gets their creative inspirations from their own experience. What I mean is that person's life is what their creativity ultimately stems from. They can only realize their own creativity within themselves, so I guess that's a box within itself.

As far as the writing process and creativity while being alone: some people just work better alone is my guess.

Reading that quote picked at me too, so I figured I'd give you a comment on it.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 23, 2007 6:21 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Blogging Checkpoint for Portfolio #3.

The next post in this blog is Peter vs. Valentine.