« Portfolio 2 | Main | Sweet Yet Tart »

Name of Pure Evil

Shakespeare, King Lear Acts 1,2 -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

Albany: "I cannot be so partial, Goneril,
To the great love I bear you--
Goneril: Pray you, content.--What, Oswald, ho!--
You, sir, more knave than Fool, after your master."

I picked these quotes out of King Lear, because I wanted to point out how UGLY and EVIL the name Goneril sounds. After reading only the first two act in this Shakespeare play, it is clear that Goneril is one of the antagonist and the most foul of them all. I have completed the whole play, and have many points that I am dying to make, but don't want to ruin it for all the other readers. I feel that Shakespeare's choice in names is always very interesting. Cordelia is such a pure name in comparison to Goneril and Regan! While reading the two eldest daughters names I just feel like the sounds let you into the personality. Cordelia, true and pure hearted- Goneril, evil and liar. I don't know maybe it's just me but I think Billy (Shakespeare) did these things on purpose!

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/9744

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 10, 2007 6:53 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Portfolio 2.

The next post in this blog is Sweet Yet Tart.