« Sweet Yet Tart | Main | Ding Ding Ding...I think I have the right idea! »

The Jolly Green Giant

Kennedy, "Shakespare's King Lear" -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"The Green Man, his head crowned with leaves, weeds, or flowers, is one of the most incontestably pre-Christian images in British history."

After reading this article, I was completely shocked, but interested at the same time. I would have never thought of the Green Man, mainly because I have never heard of this reference in my entire life! I have also read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and I was shocked that we would not have learned the background of the importance of this Green Man to the British history. I feel like I am growing to think about the symbolism in stories more now that I am in college, but I feel like I struggle to think about the OLDER meanings of symbols such as these pagan references. I know that I have never heard of the Green Man, but I am beginning to realize how important history can be while reading literature.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/9804

Margaret Jones:

I never heard of the Green Man either but it's interesting to see how connections and references can be made so long ago in historical times.

I know what you mean. It's easy to forget about all of the historical elements--especially from different cultures--that have an effect on liturature. Some of them are obvious, but others, like in King Lear, aren't.

Mary Hatfield:

The character's "Fool" in Shakespeare's "King Lear," I am wondering why is "Fool" one of shakespeare's interesting character?

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 15, 2007 3:51 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Sweet Yet Tart.

The next post in this blog is Ding Ding Ding...I think I have the right idea!.