« the Journalist monsters PREY on the weak!!! | Main | Classical or Creative? »

Newspapers...yada yada yada

Note: I am not trying to sound harsh or angry, just summarizing what I have learned!!!

Not that the Best Practices is the only readings that have helped me come to this conclusion, but I am realizing more and more, with every assignment, that I do NOT was to write for a newspaper. Phhewww feels good to get that off my chest. In all seriousiness, I don't have what it take to be a news writer. I could never get into a victims face after their child was murdered and interview them. I don't have the nerve or I guess the balls to do something like that. I am not saying that news writing is not interesting, I think it is a challenging art and well I give a huge amount of credit to journalists who do justice!!

I do hope to take what I have learned in this class and through the readings out in life. Yah know, take the news with a grain of salt, no one is perfect and journalist are not an exception, verify or duck, yada-yada-yada! I know this course will also help me in my real dream *magazine writing* aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/11020

Jackie Johns:

There's no way to get around it...you have to be one tough cookie to be a true news journalist. Not only do you have to be a skilled writer, but you also have to have great people skills and nerves of steel to help navigate you through the heart-wrenching situations reporters come across on a daily basis.

Nessa:

I agree! I also don't think I could get in people's faces, ask the hard questions, etc. I'm not that kind of person. It's good we're realizing this now, huh?

You're right, Bethany, the basic news writing skills that you're learning here will help you with any kind of writing profession. If this class also makes you an educated consumer of news, and one who can recognize good journalism when you see it, then I will get a lot of job satisfaction out of that.

Maddie Gillespie:

I must admit, I agree with you too on the necessary criteria for being a news journalist. I have a hard enough time just talking with most people that trying to interview someone after a violent crime had taken place would shut me up for good! You made a good point though - that it's a good thing that we're learning this now and Dr. Jerz was right when he said that this class is helping use to be better educated news consumers.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on November 17, 2007 2:48 PM.

The previous post in this blog was the Journalist monsters PREY on the weak!!!.

The next post in this blog is Classical or Creative?.