Performance vs. Reading

"each text is more than simply an instance of the operation of a discursive network. We have tried to show how much of The Tempest's complexity comes from its staging of the distinctive moves and figures of colonialist discourse." Barker and Hulme p 449

I felt that Barker and Hulme's did a good job explaining how they could perform actions about the history and how important that was to the play. I guess I am just wondering if the actual literature has a different effect than a performance would when it comes the discourse. Do the ideas that B and H talk about only work with plays that are being performed or can we use these ideas to study other literature? What do you guys think and how can we do it?

Go back to Barker and Hulme's

I truly think that "The Tempest" represents history in many ways. In Erica's blog entry about Barker, I mentioned in a comment how a movie critic can determine if a movie will be popular or not. I think that when we hear someone talk about something they do not like, then we are inclined to not do that. The same approach can be taken when we read a book and see a movie. Usually, we say that the book was so much better than the movie or the opposite. I think that history is in all literature whether it is referenced or influenced by it. Just think how great it would be to see a performance of Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn." What kind of a performance would it be and would it even be a performance?