Go Class!

This very well could be my last blog ever as a Seton Hill University student. Luckily I get to go out talking about my coursemates fantastic presentations and not so much about what I have achieved. Over the past few years I have learned a great deal from my peers and I think it is so important to experience the smaller classroom experience where we have the ability to make friendships, watch growth, and support one another in our educational careers. So here is to my fellow students and all they have helped me with over the semester and over the years at SHU.

Greta and Katie: "Teaching Lit. Crit"
I give you two mad props for trying to actually teach students about literary criticism. I think you should both be very proud of what you have accomplished in your task and your overall success. I think it is important to introduce the idea of criticism in a secondary education class so that they can be more familiar with critical thinking. Even if they don't exactly know how to ably it at this time, they can try to understand the purpose of the school so that they have the opportunity to look at literature the way that we do. I liked that you brought students in to support your accomplishment and great job!

Sue and Quinn: "Holden and Catcher in the Rye"
I thought that your skit and subject matter was very interesting. In our young adult literature course we learned a great deal about Salinger and his hermit like living habits. I thought you demonstrated the importance of the audience and the content of the novel well and I was interested in what you had to say. I just wish I could have gotten an exclusive interview with Salinger. How cool would that really be!!??

Derek and Angela: "The Dark Knight"
I absolutely loved your rendition of "The Dark Knight." Yes Derek your face absolutely terrified me...I couldn't look at you. Anyways I think you both captured the essence of your characters perfectly (Angela work on looking manly) and I was interested in your analysis the whole way through. When I saw the movie for the first time, I really liked the idea of justice throughout the three main characters, and I think you did a great job backing up the importance in each characters role as a form of justice or in the justice system. The website was awesome and I liked your performance a lot. Great job over the semester and thanks for the show!!

Jenna and Erica: "Pride and Prejudice"
I really enjoyed your look into Jane Austen's world. I never ever put together that "Bridget Jone's Diary" was an adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" and found it very interesting to see different interpretations. Also I think it was important that you showed us the historical significance of class and money. It was cool that you could see an element of these themes in all the adaptations, even if they were a little different. I won't lie, I'm NOT going to read the zombie version of the novel, but your pictures were FANTASTIC!!! Not only were they comical, they were relevant to scenes from the original text and expressed your purpose well. Your cast looked really familiar and so did your setting, can't wait to see it on the big screen ;-)

Mara and Kayley: "Boxcar Children"
I love the "Boxcar Children" books and I found your topic interesting and informational. Sometimes, in my opinion, good things are best left alone...especially series after the author passes. I'll say it, the originals are ALWAYS better. When has a copy cat been better? The background information on the original author was important to learn because it explains why the language was simple and the ideas were not "fantastic" but common. In a way, I feel that by leaving specific details out of the stories, such as the dogs name and description, she was trying to give the children a chance to be creative. Maybe simple is better sometimes because it lets the mind wander and wonder what it is all about.

Michelle and JR: "Rap: Gin and Juice"
Wow...I loved it. I completely agree with your ideas about objectification in rap music. I honestly don't like very much rap. I don't know if you heard me say that I usually only listen to some stuff and 99% look for the sound not words. However, I have always noticed in music videos that women are just objects for men to obtain. It's sick. Plus I've seen some of those behind the scenes, what happens to rap back up dancer shows, and it's scary. In the scheme of things, I think the essay from STW really speaks to women saying we shouldn't let these stereotypes happen, but we are almost supporting them by letting guys objectify us (not you and me but you know what I mean). I also think it was very brave to post a question. I'm sure some of the responses were shocking while others insightful.