Douglass on "Shade"

Quote : "Only upon replaying Shade and going immediately to the previously discovered hiding place (e.g. the jacket in the closet) will the interactor find no tickets, and realize that the world model is not logical and deterministic in some straightforward way" (Douglass 139).

I found this idea to be interesting, as it seems as though the predecessors, or more accurately the very first text-based games lacked this quality. Often times it seemed as though you could inherently figure out the puzzle with little to no replay value because you've acquired the one true and simple solution. With Shade, there was no real goal, other than the realization that you cannot find the tickets no matter how hard you try. To arrive at that conclusion it took much more than simply trying every possible outlet until the solution was found. Rather it took a more intuitive route in order to reach the solution. I for one was unable to finish the game based on the time frame I spent actually playing, but it was interesting to read that the apartment was actually a vision of the dying protagonist. It certainly was a positive experience for me for the text-based genre.

I'm glad you noticed the difference between Adventure and Shade... Shade does a much better job of guiding the reader with useful messages, but the only reason we have Shade is because Andrew Plotkin learned from playing tons and tons of other games that were influenced by Adventure.

Derek Tickle said:

Great Quote! It was amazing to me that the game didn't allow you to find the tickets. I also found it interesting that it noted the apartment was based on the dying protagonist. The use of darkness and light was very important in this game. If you would like to take a look at my blog about lightneess and darkness it may offer more ideas for you about the game. The website is: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DerekTickle/2008/01/the_final_death.html