Effort or Fun

My response to the class discussion question:

I think via my lens as an athlete I have come to find that fun, for me, generally entails some sort of hard work. While this is not a strict requirement for fun, I've found some of my most rewarding moments of fun based on work. I find a greater sense of enjoyment from games which required a little extra effort on my part to complete. I certainly don't mean this is my only source of fun, but I would definitely say that rewards are indicative of work in most cases.

Ashley F said:

I agree. In our soceity today if you work hard enough eventually it pays off. If a kid follows rules then he is rewarded by his parents. If to work hard by playing a game, I am rewarded when I win it. Do you think that if we work hard we expect rewards? Are we upset if do not receive expected rewards?

Brandon Gnesda said:

I think yes we have become accustomed to expect rewards for our hard work. I thinks sometimes people work hard, not because they feel as though they should, but rather because they think the reward is worth it. To your second question I also feel like we do find ourselves upset when we do not receive the expected reward. This is speaking for our generation, this is how I see those situations.

Brandon, you are right that your generation is used to a lot of immediate feedback. I remember when I was a college freshman, I didn't get a single grade from any professor until six weeks after classes started. I've noticed in the past few years that students are putting more and more weight on getting that immediate feedback, and that's something I'm trying to make a priority as I teach this J-term class -- but at the same time I want to emphasize how each little exercise is preparation for a future task, so that people don't focus on, for instance, gathering as many rat pelts as possible without realizing that you're supposed to SELL those rat pelts so you can buy a better sword and use that sword to go after the spiders. (In a similar way, taking J-Web quizzes that refer you to specific places in the book, and posting agenda items that discuss specific quotations is practice that will help make sure the group can level up to writing a research paper that involves top-quality academic research... but we'll get to that soon enough.)

Ashley F said:

I agree also. When I work hard and do not get any rewards I feel like I worked for nothing. Everytime I get a good grade I expect something good from my parents. While they stop that a while ago in high school, I would work hard for the $50 I got for every A. I do not think people work hard for themselves anymore. You should want to work hard to better yourself but I think school is starting to be a requirement because people need atleast some college to get jobs.

Darrell Kuntz said:

I feel that this prevailing attitude of hard work leading to rewards, is not an attitude that has just manifested itself in our generation. The ideals of capitalism promote this attitude, that a hard working person can become successful. Our economic system has a great deal to do with the attitudes that are instilled within members of a society. In addition to this, there is always the classic American "rags to riches" tales that instill these beliefs within American from a young age. In each of these stories, a person starts off with nothing, works harder than everyone else and becomes rich and famous. So of course we want something to happen after working hard to beat a video game, its part of everything that we have been taught to believe in our entire lives. Although, wouldn't it be funny to creat a video game that was extremely difficult and cinematic and then once the gamer beats the last level just end the game with a black screen, then cut to credits with no music. There would be riots in the streets of angry gamers.