Fatworld

Fatworld was certainly a different experience for me as far as video games are concerned. As far as I was concerned the effort that it took to really learn how to play the game outweighed the potential benefits the game provided. Because the game requires the user to read a lengthy tutorial in order to even begin the game it already seems like an uphill struggle. Once I managed to get passed the tutorials it was a slow process to find things and actually accomplish anything in the game. As far as managing money that was another thing that was really discouraging in the game. When I began I thought that by entering the restaurant I would be greeted by a hostess and able to choose the food I wanted. Instead I had purchased the restaurant and used that to serve customers and learn new recipes. I was unaware that I did not already have a house to stay in, and as such I did not have enough to purchase an open lot. I was then left with no house and food that I couldn't cook. My level of frustration was extremely high, and any type of positive message I could have found in the game was definitely pushed aside at the fact that I was generally left confused. At that point I decided that I was no longer enjoying the game and simply exited. While I really do believe that game's concept could be very beneficial, because as Darrell mentioned gamers are generally perceived as tending to be lazy and possibly overweight. Educating people on healthy decisions is definitely a positive message in a genre of entertainment that lends itself more to action and adventure. Overall I think that my impression of this game could easily be changed if I was able to really get to the point of the game rather then spending an extensive amount of time figuring simple tasks out.

There was a a dollar sign over the restaurant before you enter it, but you're right -- the generic floating "enter" sign could have changed to "buy" so that we'd know what to expect.

This game probably needs an in-game tutor -- another Fatworld resident who talks you through what you're supposed to do, like Tom Nook in Animal Crossing. Maybe there can be several different people who give you conflicting advice, so that you still have to choose what to do (thus keeping the open concept... even in Sim City, you would occasionally get pop-up windows that tell you when your citizens demand more roads, a police station, etc. (You can ignore that advice, of course, and see what happens.)