Gender and Video Games

I agree with Zach's ideas for this game. It seems to me that in the end you can never truly please everyone when you create a game. Perhaps the game was designed to portray a female in power in order to create a role model for young female gamers. We as the consumers cannot understand the motive of the creator, and even if we are told that is the case then can we really trust them? When it comes down to it video games are an industry of money, just like movies. A game is considered "good" based on the numbers of copies it sells, just like the number of copies a cd or movie sells.

The quote from the feminist is terribly ill informed in my opinion. To group together an entire gaming community based on the actions of a group of people is terrible. I compare that to someone who says "Well all athletes are stupid." Its not far to say something like that, and once again is certainly ill informed. It would be interesting to inquire on the feminists opinion to films that involve women wearing some type of provocative clothing. In the end I thought of the Tomb Raider series as a chance for women to really connect with games by playing as a good-looking, strong female main character. 

"When it comes down to it video games are an industry of money, just like movies."

You are right that the number of copies sold is an important measure that does drive the industry, but the field of "Game Studies" is larger than the commercial gaming industry.

Yes, people who develop games full-time expect to make money off of them. But we have also played several games, such as Madrid, September 12, Galatea, Shade, and all the Strongbad games, all of which are free. In another thread, Ashley and I have been discussing "Escape the Room" games, which are created and shared for free among a small but devoted community of fans.

Since those games weren't designed to make any money, and will therefore never "sell" any copies, can they be considered "good" in some *other* way?

Brandon Gnesda said:

I believe those types of games can certainly be good in there own way. The author's intent may be to inform the games users of an important issue, to teach a lesson, or simply to entertain even if for a moment. I think once you take the money aspect of games away the definition of successful changes considerably. I may create a game that people love and enjoy, but they may all miss the message I'm trying to send in that game. So perhaps it was successful in that many people played and enjoyed the game, but for me it might be unsuccessful because no one understood the meaning of the game.