Koster, "A Theory of Fun"

I really found this text to be very insightful as well as entertaining as pertaining to video games. It discussed a lot of the issues that games we tend to overlook. I particularly found the topic that games cannot satisfy an entire audience of gamers. It makes perfect sense as well, how can you produce a game that includes enough variety to please a crowd of people who's interests vary so greatly. Another idea I enjoyed from the text was the thought topic of cheating. It was certainly a new perspective for me when he mentioned that cheating was a very efficient response to a game. I never looked at cheating that way, I simply saw it as someone who was lazy and would rather have everything done for him rather than exploring a game himself. Competitive nature will always prevail when it comes  to any type of game in my opinion, and therefore the concept of cheating will never be absent from its culture.
    In addition to those ideas, I also found interest in the idea of unpredictability of games. It was so true what he said about unpredictability in that it creates new problems for us to solve. If we enter a game encountered with monotony we often times find that game is no longer appealing to us. By eliminating this element of surprise we really have no challenges to look forward to. Lastly, I enjoyed the thought behind games that current popularity does not dictate the evolution of something. He compared Shakespeare who was wildly popular for his time and then was forgotten for the next several hundred years. Kosters point being that simply because something finds acclaim now does not mean all games of that genre will enjoy the success from that point on.  Overall, I appreciated the view of games that Koster's book brought to the table, certainly new ideas that I myself had never explored.