Newman Vs. Juul

Thesis: Newman feels that the personal play-character relationship is not an important part of games, whereas Juul feels that this primary relationship is what defines a game.

As I reflected on the third question for the J-Web workbook, I realized that I was much more able to decide upon a primary player-character relationship over the depersonalized relationship. As an avid fan of RPG genre games this type of connection is almost always found, in that you relate to the player and almost live out the story along with the protagonist. I agreed with Derek's entry with essentially addressed the same issue and the same train of thought. From first hand experience I can much more closely relate the view that Juul provides in that I almost always find an identifiable relationship with the main character.

Kevin said:

While I agree with you that humans trend toward empathy of the more humanoid characters (why we want Mario to not fall in the pit but don't care about the little block in "Secret Collect"), do you feel these are the same reasons in science fiction and theory that we, as humans, feel alien lifeforms will have human characteristics? Are we unable to perceive what a non-human lifeform would really look like or would be have such an emotional disconnect from it that we would not be able to process what we are interacting with?

Brandon Gnesda said:

I think so Kevin. I think we tend to be drawn to what we know. Sometimes we don't like to think about what could be different or what "might be." I think that it might be beyond our scope sometimes to imagine things so far beyond our understanding.