« Coleridges.. | Main | »

Antony and Cleopatra

Antony and Cleopatra (Acts I & II) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I have really enjoyed reading this play of Antony and Cleopatra and that is probably because with all of the footnotes and all of the help that the book provides to help you understand the play better.

I understand why everyone thinks that Cleopatra and Antony are individually weak characters because they are. Cleopatra relys on Antony to make her feel beautiful and wonderful because she needs to know that he will always love her and will always want her even though he has/had a wife Fulvia and also his new wife Octavia. After she finds out that he remarried she was in a panic and a horrible mood until she realizes that Octavia is nothing compared to her. It is obvious that Cleopatra will always hold a key to Antonys heart basically because of her power and beauty.

I do believe that either Antony does not know what he wants or maybe he just wants it all. I think that he might want everything.. the girls... the queen.. the power. He will always want Cleopatra but he continues to marry and love other women at the same time as Cleopatra and then he marries (Octavia) only to have a better relationship with her brother Caeser and Rome. But in a way I feel bad for Antony because I believe that he is torn and truely does feel emotions toward Fulvia, Cleoptra and Rome. I do think that he would of went to Rome becuase the reason that he went was to show respect and get things back in order but I don't think that he would of married Octavia. If Cleopatra wouldn't of been playing games with him from the beginning. She is constanly saying that she loves him but she doesnt want to marry him and then she send messages wanting and expecting him to do something. For example she tells her messanger to ask him how he is doing and she what he is up to and then if he tells an answer the messanger is suppose to relay something opposite basically for Anotny to understand that he is suppose to go and see her. (But I think that I do that as well.. because when I am mad at someone I say things but then I just expect them to come over or continue to call me.. but Antony isn't a mind reader and basically just does what she says. which is foreshadowing because when Cleopatra sends him a message saying that she is dead the message backfires on her.)
I also think that he has mixed feeling because he definately shows love his first wife Fulvia. When Antony finds out that his wife is dead he says
Forbear me
Theres a great spiri gone!
Thus did I desire it:

This passage definately shows love for his wife then Antony continues to say be gone and he wants to be alone. I think that he also has much love for her when he finds out that she died on his behave. Which shows how much she loved him while he was beraying her.

I just believe that these characters are confused and really dont know what they really want in life. It is going to be interesting to finish reading the play and seeing it in action.

Posted by Brittney Aller at February 22, 2006 02:20 PM