« | Main | Levin Article »

Brittney's Portfolio

Portfolio 1 (100pts) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

My name is Brittney Aller and I am a Freshman and commuter at Setonhill University. I am majoring in English Literature and I am also going to be certified in Elementary and Special Education. This is my first semester blogging, which has also made this semester quite difficult.

Coverage

One of the assignments that I liked doing for class was the blank verse poetry. After Professor jerz assistance in helping me actually understand poetry, iambic Pentameter and blank verse I thought that I was clever enough to come up with oa poem that I really enjoy. it is about my Ex 1-4c: A Clever Blank-Verse Entry on Your Blog (10pts) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)">daughter so check it out.

One of the stories that I enjoyed reading this semester was How To Build a Fire. I found the story to be interesting and somewhat emotional. In many ways I though that I wanted to cry for the man and his dog but realized that If Only he Would of Listened then he wouldn't of had to die.

Another story that I also liked reading was The Machine Stops. This story was different than any other ones that I have read and I found it to be a bit scary. It made me realize how the future might be in a hundred or so years when I am long gone.

The other Coverage selections that I chose were poetry selections. I am not really good at analyzing poems but I really enjoyed reading them in class. The Emily Dickinson poem, Death was an easy and pleasant poem to read. Some of the other poems that we had to read and discuss for class were the poems called Turtle, Swing and Tree. These poems were easy and enjoyable to read because they made you feel like you were a little child again. I think that Professor jerz and the class in general has helped me understand poetry a lot better.
* Emily Dickinson *
* Children Poems *

Our introductory to Literature class also had to read Antony and Cleoptra by William Shakespeare. This reading was somtimes confusing but none the less enjoyable like everything else. I believe that my blogging on the first few acts and the second few acts were some of the best blogging that I have done all year.
ACTS I and II
ACTS III-IV

Depth

I believed that the blog that I did on Coleridge's The Raven was in depth. I explained why certian things stood as symbols.

Another blog was the ones that I did on Antony and Cleopatra.. I believe that I did a good job trying to explain the acts and what I thought was happening.

Interaction

Throughout the blogging process not too many people commented on my blog but i was lucky to have some that actually cared about what I said and I am grateful for those.
Thanks you everyone that did!!
When I blogged about the Second Raven story, Denamarie decided to right about how she felt.

Erin was kind enough to tell me her feelings and how she liked the little child poems that we read.

I also commented on peoples blogs. Fr instance I commented on Kevins 'Keep It Simple and Natural'. i liked the way that he thought and how he symbolized some of the things in the poem.

I also commented on Amandas blog for Death Be Not Proud.. because she really helped me understand that the person in this poem was not afraid of death but waiting to go peacefully.

I also commented on Andies blog of Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds. In Andies blog he showed how he thought true love. He said that True Love can within stand challenges. I explained about my personal life and also agreed with him.

I also chose to comment on Andies blog for the Raven. I really liked how he was opinionated and how Elyse took the opinion and story onto a different level. On this blog I had to almost agree with Andie.

Unfortunately my blog only sparked a converstaion between myself and one other person.

Timeliness

I wrote my Blog for Antony and Cleopatra ACTS III to IV after class was ended. Even though we really didnt get a whole lot of time to discuss it in class, we had an exam which brought up the questions of that character, Cleopatra. Check out my blog to see how I thought the rest of the play was.

Xenoblogging

I was the first to comment on Andies blog for, Let Me not to The marriage of trueMinds. Unfortunately it didn't spark a converstaion between anyone else.

Wildcard

Ah.. blogging takes up so much time and so much energy. Even though I think that sometimes we shouldn't have to blog or maybe because I run out of time because I am so busy with other homework, school, kids or work I think that it is a good idea. It helps to get our mids motivated and prepared for what we are going to do the next day. Just remember that this is my FIRSt time blogging and my First time doing a portflio.. Be Gentle!!

Posted by Brittney Aller at February 26, 2006 06:57 PM

Nice work Brittney... I see that you've gotten of to a rocky start, but don't worry. I haven't seen a person yet that can get blogging right the first time. Just hang in there and you will be ok.

While I'm here...

I wanted to respond to the comment you left on my blog "To bleed or not to bleed". I understand what you mean, and I definetly do NOT promote murder, but by merely looking at the act itself you lose the reason and your natural or moral response to the it will automatically kick in.

WHY did Sethe do it. We know to help them escape from slavery. But that explaination can be easily be cancelled out by your imformative comments. Foster said that later on in Morrison's story, the dead child comes back all grown up to confront her mother. There were consequences for what see did no matter why she did them.

I wasn't interested in the murder itself... it was the reason behind it. Like Foster said it the real reason that feul the story. I would love to discuss this issue in further detail with you.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at February 27, 2006 06:56 PM

Brittney, I can see that you've thought carefully about your blogging. That's good. The links aren't working, but if you come to my office hour sometime this week, I can help you with that.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 26, 2006 09:51 PM