« death be not proud.. | Main | Antony and Cleopatra »

Coleridges..

Hácová, ''Love, Life and Death in Coleridge's Poem 'The Raven''' -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I really liked reading this becuase I think that it gave me an even better understanding of the poem.. When I first read the poem I did get the feeling that it was about life and having a family and death and revenge but I don't think that I picked up on all of the symbols that he used. It is so rare and weird but amazing to me that people can write books, poems and movies and have us understand something that we think is great in one way and it completely means something else. For instance this poem, The Raven can be related to the French Revolution and COleridges meanings. And just like I watched the Wizard of Oz and think of someone going to a magical place when it is really about politics.
I still really liked this poem. I like how it was symbolic and how it really shows you how the bird felt and etc.

Posted by Brittney Aller at February 16, 2006 07:55 PM

Brittney, I felt the same way the first time I read it as well. I didn't notice the symbols of death, love and revenge. I just thought it was about how greedy and selfish humans can be. The way Hacova described and analyzed all the symbols really helped me get an understanding of where the author is coming from and where he wanted the readers to be at the ending. I think that the relationship he had with his father really evoked his emotions and the reason behind the poem.
Academic articles are just so helpful.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at February 16, 2006 08:58 PM