Main | Poetry selections »

the mchine stops

Forster, ''The Machine Stops'' (online) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

The machine Stops which is written by E.M. Forster is quite scary. It makes the reader think about what might happen in the future. Today mostly everything is some type of a machine.. we have cell phones, computers, machines in factories that are one day going to take over everyones job.. we have spaceships...cars..planes.. and etc..
And the world knows that these inventions arent going to be the last. Everyone laughes at the fact that people say one day we will have flying cars.. and people will be able to vacation in space but I truely believe that.. I think that technology can reuin the world just like it did in The machine stops..
One passage from the story.. Then she generated the light and the sight of her room flooded with radiance...there were buttons adn switches for everything- buttons to call for food, music, clothing, hot bth, cold bath, literature button etc.. Even though this could be nice because today I find People in general to be very lazy.. it almost makes me want to do everything myself..
Even though its silly i relly hope the world doesnt come to this

Posted by Brittney Aller at February 8, 2006 09:47 AM