« Levin Article | Main | Eats, Shoots and Leaves Ch. 3 »

March 19, 2006

Eats, Shoots and Leaves (the COMMA!)

Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves 2 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Before I start to blog about the writing I just wanted to let everyone know that commas and I do not get a along. Every paper in this past month for so reason or another has comma mistakes in out. Now wether commas are suppose to go there, or they are not suppose to be there I am guilty of it all. And I am sure throughout this blog you will notice punctuation mistakes.. so Beware!

I think that it was harder for me to understand the sentences that had grammatical error. I wasn't sure in the sentences that she used to talk aboutThurber and Ross were correct or incorrect.
For example

After dinner, the men went into the living room.

I do not believe that this is correct (but I am not sure of it either), but I definately see myself writing sentences like these because I am comma crazy!
What I like about Lynne Truss is that she will list the ways that commas and apostraphes (and I am sure other puctuation marks) are used in sentences; I believe that to be very helpful and useful.
I think that the apostraphe chapter was a lot funnier and interesting to read compared to the comma chapter... I think that Truss did a great job on getting everyones attention in the introduction and chapter one but I think that she is loosing me a little because of chapter two. All of the people and the ancient time writings that she is talking about really isnt catching my attention like all of the things that she talked about in chapter one. I thought it was very interesting to see grammatical errors on signs around neighborhoods and the stuff like that.

I would like to give credit to Truss for finally answering a question that I have had. Do you ever just sit around and wonder who comes up with words, who invents certain/all words? Well I do. Actually, today at work a friend of mine and I were talking about the color pinka nd how funny it is that that's a color (anyways)... Truss tells us that Aldus Manutius invented italics and the semicolon.... I have truely always wanted to know that.

Antoher thing that I liked about this chapter is the way that Truss described its jobs. How she defined its job as a seperator and how it tears about on the hillside of language, circling and dividing...etc
Commas, if you dont whistle at them to calm down, are unstoppably enthusiastic at this job. I love how she puts this because this is going to be my next excuse when I get a grade letter lower on a paper just because of commas... But Professor the commas didn't listen to me because I can't whistle! haha.. I though this was really funny.
Something that I learned out of this chapter was when to place commas in list. This comma placement might be one of the ones taht confuses me the most because I never but a comma before the last and and a lot fo the time I have teachers and professors that mark that wrong. Now I know that I am right and they are just really into the Oxford comma.
Overall I enjoyed this chapter so bring on the next one!

Posted by Brittney Aller at March 19, 2006 07:48 PM