« Eats, Shoots and Leaves (the COMMA!) | Main | Curious dog.. »

March 24, 2006

Eats, Shoots and Leaves Ch. 3

Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves 3 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I don't think that I have ever expressed how much that I hate computers and technology. I blogged earlier today and came back to the site to look at it (I don't know why but I always do that) and it wasn't there. So I left to go to class and I when I revisited the site it still wasn't up there so now I have to blog all over again! (A dilema, that I think Dena had as well)

I really like how Truss began chapter three. Even though it was quite RUDE and awful to do that to somebody.. she is right. People are so into typing and using the computer that hardly any one ever has good handwriting. At least in high school all of my first drafts had to be and written but when I got to college ever those had to be typed on the computer. SO why is the handwriting part so importnant when we never have to use it anymore. (and since everything in this class is done online.. I am sure all of our handwrittings are going down the drain) (no offense to you, Professor Jerz, I completely understand that we are trying to save trees!)

Like I have said before I truely enjoy reading Truss and I love how we actually get to see examples rather than just giving us a definition of why to use the punctuation marks and where to place them.

I am fairly confident that I use the semi-colon correctly. Especially because I do not use them that ofeten, but when I do use them n a paper my professors never mark them with any type of ink so I believe that I have a good relationship with that mark.

One punctuation mark that I do have trouble with is the colon. I know that you are suppose to use them when you are about to start a list but other than that reason I have never seen or heard of anything other reason to use a colon. Thats why I like how Truss gives us the reasons. She said that you can use colons to tell the reader that something is coming next. But, like she said you can practically put them anywhere just like a dash.. and boy do I hate those dashes (I guess it's kinda the same way as using the dots '...'). WEll... I am glad that I never learned that because I probably would have over used them just like I overuse my commas.

I really liked the newspaper statistic and reason why they do not use colons, semicolons and the marks of that nature. And who ever said it on their blog is so true. Andy, I believe said that examples of the elevator and reading it in the car. SO many people just look for the quick news.. they don't care if something is spelled wrong and especially whether or not a punctuation mark is misplaced.

The last thing that I wanted to point out is the fact that a sentence can change so much depending on what punctuation mark you put there and where you place the punctuation mark. It is so amazing to me that a sentence can change so much.

I really enjoyed this chapter as much as the others.

Posted by Brittney Aller at March 24, 2006 03:58 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your tech troubles. You might try posting your blog after you've written a few paragraphs, checking to see that it appears on your site, and then editing it in order to expand it. Sometimes students also save it as a word document right before they post.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear you are finding this chapter both pleasant and informative.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at March 25, 2006 01:53 AM