« Eats, Shoots and Leaves Ch. 3 | Main | Curious incident of the dog in the night time (Part 2) »

April 3, 2006

Curious dog..

Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 1 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

The Curious incident of the dog in the Night Time (1)

This book really is a better read the second time around. Now that I actually have read about children with autism and also experienced it first hand in a classrom when I was observing it really helps you undertsnad that situation. The Exceptional Child class that I am in really came in handy with reading this book.

Haddon does a great job showing exactly what a child with autism goes through. He gives us detials and lets us experience christopher for ourselves. For example children with autism usually do not like to be touched and christopher expresses that all through the book. Especially when he can not even hug his father (the actually spread out their fingers and touch each others hands). Child with autism also do not like to look people in the eyes and they tend to look at people form below the nose. I found this to be true in Christopher as well because he doesn't like to look at people in the face. Christopher also shows other characteristics of being autism by being so in-depth and detailed but only about certain situations and he always needs to have a response that she practical and to the point.

I believe this book to be better the second time around because I was able to pick up more things than I did before. That is probably because I already know what happens at the end of the book anways. But I could see a lot of foreshadowing throughout the book. Little instances like

"You really need to talk to your father,"

"What kind of heart attack did she have?" - and his father couldn't answer that.

His father also does not let Christopher visit his mother in 'the hospital'.
Nor does Christopher attend his mothers 'funeral'

The little facts and things through the book really show what is untruthful.

I did find it sad that a young boy who is so truthful has been lied to for over two years. I also found it rather sad that Christopher being as intelligent as he is could not understand all of the facts and put them together.

He didn't go to the funeral... his mother just disappeared... he couldn't go to the hospital... Mr. Shear's left at the same time as his mother...

Posted by Brittney Aller at April 3, 2006 12:35 PM

i loved the story i really enjoyed it

Posted by: stacey at September 20, 2006 6:44 AM