« TRUSS hyphens and dash marks | Main | Resurrection blues 2 and 3 »

April 12, 2006

Foster marked for greatness and dont read with your eyes

Foster (selections) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Marked with Greatness

Some of the things that Foster mentions are extremely true but sometimes I think that they are just a coincidence.
I agree when he says that heroes are always different and marked in some way whether it is with a disability, scars, physical disability etc.
But I don't think that every story and every novel is like that.
But his examples that he does use throughout this chapter really does go with what Foster is trying to say.
The foreshadowing of Oedipus is very clever and I didn't pick up on the name and the title when I first read this story in high school but Foster made it make sense to me.

I think if a writer incooperates a physical trait or marking its because he wants it to reference something or because it just goes along with the story. I agree with Foster in this sense but I think that the author just adds the deformities and such in the story because it has something to do with the story.

I wasn't impressed with this chapter nor am I extremely convinced.

Dont Read with Your Eyes

I really liked this chapter by Foster. He says:

If you don't adjust your eyes and mind to transport you from contemporary reality whatever the ending has to offer will be pretty well lost on you.
So we need to not read with our eyes.., so we can truely understand the meaning on what the story really is. But earlier Foster told us that everyone has their own interpretation about a book or story.

But if you just look at the writing and not think about what really si going on then you sometimes have troubles analyzing the reading.

I have trouble sometimes..especially when it is a difficult reading.
One example that is an easy read that I can think of is the story that we just read, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. A lot of people like we discussed stopped reading after they found out who killed the dog. But they just read with their eyes because with out finishing the book they didn't know that this book wasn't really all about the dead dog. The book was truely about Christopher and adventures and relationships that he had.

Posted by Brittney Aller at April 12, 2006 01:15 PM