« Curious incident of the dog in the night time (Part 2) | Main | TRUSS hyphens and dash marks »

April 7, 2006

Resurrection Blues 1

Miller, Resurrection Blues 1 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

The prologue of the play really caught my attention and I was ready to read. I love how Miller started off talking about Jeanine and her suicide. Even though she is not a major charachter in the story (well as far as we know) it helps us understand the character of Henri and where his life is going.

The first act was kind of boring to me. I really wasn't that interested int he conversation all that much. I hated how every time Henri wanted to talk or even bring up a new subject Felix always shutted him down. He constantly would change the subject by bringing up the dentist or some other weird idea.

At this point I really like the character of Henri and the emotions that he feels. I truely believe that he sees where his cuontry is going and he really cares about the problems that the people are facing. While on the other hand his cousin, Felix, could care less. I think that Felx is a completely selfish and greedy ruler who feels that the peoples problems are their own problems.

When I read that there was a dead baby lying on the street and the blood fluke was in the water supply I wondered how and does this stuff really happen in other countries in the twentyfirst century?

What I think is sad about this play is that there is really going to be a crucifixion in this century. But what is worse is that somebody is paying them 75 million dollars to have it on ads and television.

I did find it odd that the 'criminal' did light up. didn't the general see that as bizarre and maybe a sign? I found it odd and funny how he said that oh... he just does that sometimes. I have never seen anyone light up ever!

I think this second half is going to be interesting. I am excited to see what is going to happen.

Posted by Brittney Aller at April 7, 2006 9:19 AM

This play seems really interesting, I wish that I could've gotten a copy. In a way, it does remind me of how we really are. There may not be bloody babies on the streets in the US, but there are alot of other horrible things happening to children and adults alike considering all the greed that we do have in this country.

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 10, 2006 10:29 AM