Don't be such a Scrooge

"But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.  And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

--Dickens, A Christmas Carol

I decided to write this blog in response to our in-class discussion. Is Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" a Christmas story?

Well to answer this we have to ask ourselves what makes a story a Christmas story? I am going to make a generalization based on the Christmas stories I have read throughout the years. I think there are three types of Christmas stories. First, there is the story of Christ's birth. Second is the story of Santa Claus. Finally, the third type is stories that teach lessons about morality, virtue, and the importance of family and community through Christmas. The third type is more complicated and is usually included somewhat in the first and second type.

I definitely think that "A Christmas Carol" fits into the third type. During Christmas time, people tend to be more giving and more family oriented. This makes Christmas the perfect time frame to teach lessons on charity, family, and values. During Christmas, these morals are heightened; therefore, to see someone like Scrooge even more miserable than usual clearly shows that there is a problem. This is outside of the point, but I wonder how miserable Scrooge was when it wasn't Christmas time. Was he more miserable around Christmas because everyone else was happier than usual? If so, this would add to the fact that Christmas is a good time to teach these lessons because the idea that Scrooge could be happy at Christmas time shows just how big of a change he has made.