Portfolio 4

Portfolio 4

Coverage: I chose to not blog about Roberts Ch. 13 because it did not really mean anything significant to me.

Poor Toby (Chekhov "The Bear") Annoying much? Here I vent my frustration with the characters in Chekhov's "The Bear".

Why so Drab? (Roberts Ch 7) In response to Roberts Ch 7, I pitch my idea that "escape literature" should be added to the curriculum. 

Don't be such a Scrooge (Staves 1-3) Here I discuss what makes a story a Christmas story. I make a generalization that there are three types of Christmas stories.

Scared into Submission? (Staves 4-5) The Grim Reaper? I discuss the meaning behind the appearance of the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come in Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

Universality Saves the Day (Roberts Ch 10 and 16) I begin with a basic comparison between the sincerity of symbolism versus allegory which eventually leads to a look at what keeps old literature alive.  

Sickness Prevails (Porphyria's Lover) Here, I compare my initial reaction to Porphyria's Lover to my reaction after our in class discussion.  

We Can Do It (Chace) In response to "The Decline of the English Department" by William Chace, I propose ways to save English both individually and as a group.

Depth: I try to go into depth with most of my blog entries because it helps me dig deeper into the literature. I also find it more helpful when it comes time to write a research paper. It almost acts as a part of the brainstorming process of writing a paper.

Poor Toby (Chekhov "The Bear")

Why so Drab? (Roberts Ch 7)

Don't be such a Scrooge (Staves 1-3)

Universality Saves the Day (Roberts Ch 10 and 16)  

We Can Do It (Chace)

Interaction: Once again, for every entry of mine that someone commented on, I commented on his/her blog for the same piece. I returned to these entries to continue the conversations.

Can You Use That In a Sentence..?- Jessica Orlowski

Jess and I discussed our processes for writing a debatable thesis statement.

Reading for the "Right" Reasons- Josie Rush

Here several members of our class discuss escape literature.

Animal Cruelty at its Finest- Jessica Orlowski

Jess, Josie, and I discuss the role of gender and symbolism in animals in Checkov's "The Bear".

Discussion: Sometimes my choice of writing lengthier blogs means not always getting them done on time. If I had, I probably would have generated more comments because my classmates would have seen my entry as an option to comment on before class.

Poor Toby (Chekhov "The Bear")

Why so Drab? (Roberts Ch 7)

Timeliness:

Scared into Submission? (Staves 4-5)

Why so Drab? (Roberts Ch 7)

Universality Saves the Day (Roberts Ch 10)

Poor Toby (Chekhov "The Bear")

Xenoblogging:

The Link Gracious:

·         I mentioned Josie in one of my blogs (Why so Drab?) and linked to hers because our entries were similar. I thought it would be more worthwhile for everyone to read both entries instead of just one.

·         I also mentioned Karyssa in my blog Scared into Submission? and linked to her blog.

The Comment Primo and the Comment Grande:

·         Religion and Forgiveness -Gladys Mares

·         Awakened By Chapter 16 -Karyssa Blair

·         Can You Use That In a Sentence..?- Jessica Orlowski

o   I was the first to comment on this entry. The entry now has 10 comments, 4 of which are mine.

·         Reading for the "Right" Reasons- Josie Rush

o   I returned to continue the conversation.

·         In a Nutshell- Kayla Lesko

·         Love with Just a Snap of the Fingers- Kayla Lesko

·         Animal Cruelty at its Finest- Jessica Orlowski

o   Jess mentioned me in her blog. I was the first to comment, and I returned to continue the conversation.  

The Comment Grande:

·         Religion and Forgiveness -Gladys Mares--I politely disagreed with her statement that Dickens' A Christmas Carol is not a Christmas story by writing a long thoughtful response regarding religion.

·         Animal Cruelty at its Finest- Jessica Orlowski--I left two lengthier comments on this entry.

·         Reading for the "Right" Reasons- Josie Rush--I left two lengthier comments on this entry.

Wildcard:

·         Why so Drab? (Roberts Ch 7) I chose this entry because of the conversation that ensued.