Scared into Submission?

"It was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand. But for this it would have been difficult to detach its figure from the night, and separate it from the darkness by which it was surrounded"

--Dickens, A Christmas Carol

I was surprised by the Grim Reaper like appearance of the Ghost of Christmas future. In fact, I was surprised by the appearance of all three spirits. I expected them to look like angels because of their mission to change a man's life for the better. However, these spirits almost seemed to act as though they were being forced to help Scrooge. The ghost of Christmas future never even spoke a word. Could this be because he really couldn't talk or because he chose not to? The ghost of Christmas future seemed to use fear to persuade Scrooge to change his lifestyle: "Although well used to ghostly company by this time, Scrooge feared the silent shape so much that his legs trembled beneath him, and he found that he could hardly stand when he prepared to follow it" (Dickens). Of course, this spirit showed Scrooge kindness by giving Scrooge a moment to get his bearings back before moving on. This is where Karyssa's blog comes in to play. Karyssa mentions in her blog that Scrooge's charity is not to help others but rather to save himself. This could be true in that the ghost of Christmas future as well as the scenes shown to Scrooge of the future could have scared him into charity. However, I still like to think that Scrooge's charity at the end was heartfelt.

Kayla Lesko said:

You know, I never really checked the blogs on this before I did my presentation. I hope that no thinks I stole their ideas...