I'm not moving to Chicago.

The reading that we had to do was from America's Best Newspaper Writing pages 87-97. This section was about Linnet Myers, a crime report writer for the Chicago Tribune. Though this story was vey catchy and it was able to grab onto, and hold, my attention, is this how you're supposed to write crime stories?

I always thought that news stories were supposed to get to the point and tell about all the facts upfront. Are crime reports supposed to be different? I mean this seemed more like she was writing a short story for a book, not a crime report for a major newspaper. I don't think this is the kind of writing that we are supposed to be doing in this class, or for this profession. But hey, personally I'd rather write this way, just because its not as plain and sometimes boring, but for news writing isnt this the wrong way to be writing?

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: I'm not moving to Chicago..

Michelle Polly said:

I agree...I also thought that news stories were suppose to tell about the facts upfront. It did kinda seem that she was writing a short story. She didnt act like she was talking to a lot of people that it would effect.But i dont know Im probably wrong haha!!!

Carrie Kraszewski said:

Yeah, I kept thinking, "is this really a news story, or just a story?"

Maddie Gillespie said:

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing until I read a few other's blogs and they all said that it was a feature. I agree completely that this was a bad crime story because I think those are supposed to short, sour, and to the point, but this was a great feature. Like with Chelsea, it was able to grab my attention and hang on, reeling me in even more, bit by bit.

Nessa said:

I'm not moving to Chicago either- geez!

As we've discussed on my blog, this was definitely a features article, although since we are currently studying crime stories, I assumed it would be a crime story instead. I, like you, questioned whether I should be writing this way...before I decided that I definitely shouldn't. It was way too wordy and, frankly, kinda lost me somewhere in the middle because I just wasn't interested anymore. We want the facts, just the facts.

Jeremy Barrick said:

I feel the more diverse a reporter, the more interested the reader will be to the story. If crime reports just told a simple story, who would bother with it?

You guys figured it out. It is indeed very different from the kind of no-nonsense articles that are the bread and butter of crime reporting, but this feature points out the drama even in a routine day in the court system.