« Media Lab: Happiness in the form of a brochure. | Home | Media Lab: Mass Circulation and Reporting »

"...there is simply no big story here."

Specific Agenda Item

What I got most out of the assigned reading this time was that "The hardest thing in the world to do is to persude a reporter that there is simply no big story here." In this section, Best Practices explains that readers think that reporters already make up their stories then try to fill it with big quotes to make all of their stories into a big deal, when they may not be. Because of the "reporters need" to always make their story intoa big production, the idea or news writing has lost its appeal and its credibility. (Note to self: don't do this.)

Overall Agenda Item

The Best Practices "book" was a great tool for this class. It was able to show us both sides to each story. It showed us what the reporters do that make the public upset, and how the public reacts to that, and then how we as writers can fix it. Personally, I think this book was the best information brought into the class because it showed the most common mistakes made by people in our field, and then how we could fix those mistakes baised on what the public thinks of those issues.

I agree. The book did a good job of covering both sides of the issue. I didn't really know that there was an actual procedure for making corrections. IANS seemed to me a little negatively biased, but America's Best Newspapers was fair and balanced. It becomes clear that IANS was not written by journalists.We make mistakes, and now we know the procedures to correct them.