« EL150: I just came from Faith class... | Home | EL150: Sports writing = more than just writing. »

EL150: Can't say it better than Maddie.

Essential Literary Terms - Hamiltion

Analogy: a comparison of a subject to something that is similar to it in order to clarify the subject's nature, purpose, or function." (Hamilton, pg. 76)

Example: "He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it." (stolen from The 25 Funniest Analogies)

I like to pick the words that I hear being used wrong the most often and blog about them; however, I can never beat Maddie in getting to post because she (and this will be the only time I admit it!) is better than me....gosh.

Anyway, everything that I had to say was basically already taken by her and I feel as though I cannot compete and I have to just link to her site.

I feel so small right now. Maddie - you are lucky that I don't like going to the Setonian office alone or we would not be friends! Okay, have a great day everyone! <3 

Ok so now I'm pretty sure that there is a little bit of a competition factor in the class! Geez, let's settle it down kids.

Everyone is good at something and we're ALL equal.

damn.
lol

I really like reading both of your entries though. More than often, people use literary terms in the wrong sense, and sometimes it's just a misunderstanding. I think that BOTH of you equally did a good job of clearly showing examples and explaining it.