« EL150: The river and some little kiddos | Home | EL150: I just came from Faith class... »

EL150: Sing it out Alanis...

Hamilton: Essential Literary Terms

Irony - presenting a deliberate contrast between two levels of meaning - could be considered sarcasm.

Kinds of irony - Verbal (implying a meaning different from and often the complete opposite of the one stated.)Structural (implicationof alternate or reversed meaning that pervades a work.) Dramatic (when the audience is privy to knowledge before one or more characters.) Tragic (dramatic irony that occurs in tragedies.) Cosmic (implied worldview when characters are led to embrace false hope only to be defeated.)

Example - I find it ironic that after hating band in high school, the one credit I needed happens to be fulfilled by taking band this semester.  

Further explaination - "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette. (Good song.)

This blog brought to you by Chelsea getting upset because everyone she seems to talk to does not understand what irony means and always seems to hear it being used in the wrong way. Thank you and have a nice day!

Chelsea my dear, you always explain things in a memorable way, that's for sure! You know that I myself utilize sarcasm everyday in nearly anyway that I can. I absolutely love this blog entry! And yes, it is quite ironic that the one credit that you needed would be fulfilled by band, especially sense I've heard how you grumble! It was genius of you to link your blog to Alanis Morissette's song too! Good job on a blog well done! Yes, I know I sound inordinately happy right now, but class is over, what can I say?

haha - Maddie you leave the best comments!

Good use of example Chelsea. I liked that you chose a song as an example, because any form of media/art is a good source if you are having trouble understanding something.